Let's take a closer look at the three types of government discussed earlier. Your readers may not need to know the ins and outs of your government system, but you need a good idea of how things work and who's in charge.
In most Fantasy stories there is an authoritarian government in place. Most of the time it is a monarchy, with the King as the man in charge and the sole ruler of the land. Sometimes it's a military dictatorship (think two warring kingdoms, one loses and the winner takes over.) But, are these rulers really as all powerful as they seem?
Some good questions to ask about your authoritarian government are:
1) Is the King or ruler the only law maker in the land? (Is there a council or committee that reviews the King's decrees and vetos or passes them before they reach the people?)
2) How is the King/ruler chosen? (By birth, by force, by committee?)
3) Is the King or ruler an invader?
4) Is the King or ruler well loved/liked by the people?
5) Is there a way other than by overthrowing and killing the King/ruler to replace the government?