Tuesday, July 9, 2013

World Building - Directions 2

I know I've already mentioned this, but I don't think I can emphasize it enough that the directions part of your story is vitally important.  In a story I'm writing this month I have a character running back and forth down streets.  At one point she stops and watches the shadows.  I haven't drawn a map yet, I'm just using a mental map right now, and I have her judging the time by the shadows, no she can't afford a watch, even a cheap one.  The building she's in faces East, so the shadows on the buildings across the way in the afternoon have to be tall, if not completely covering everything across the street.

Shadows and times are important and a good indicator of direction.  Unless your sun rises in the West and sets in the East, if your character is in an Eastern facing building, or looking out a window that faces East, due North, or due South, they're not going to look out on a beautiful sunset at the end of the day.

I'm fixing to draw a map now, at least of the small section of the city that this portion of the story occurs in.  It's not going to be there much longer, but making sure I send her in the right direction when it's there is important.